Thoughts on some music I heard recently in the car.   A song came on the radio with the lyrics that intimated we should live our lives as though there is no tomorrow.  We should live as though we are on borrowed time.  I think the sentiment is truly about being purposeful in our lives and noticing the finite amount of time we have been given.  That could end anytime.  However, the response I have inwardly to this song is stress and urgency.  It makes me feel that I don't have much time, therefore I must hurry through life, making sure I get things accomplished.  I have to make sure I am not missing "it".  While the intent is good, the result for me is "frozen with anxiety".  I know this about myself and chuckle instead of following the advise of the song.

Some songs that came after this one, exalted God and I found myself caught up worship along Memorial Drive.  A beautiful way to start the day.  Then, as I passed downtown another "time" song came on.  I had to laugh.  It was the exact opposite in theory of the earlier song.  It proclaimed boldly that this is the first day of the rest of your life.  I agree.  However, I couldn't help comparing these two "time" songs.  This second song desires to set one free from their past mistakes and making a clean break, start fresh today.  Yes, sometimes we need a clean, fresh start.  But we can't just cut ourselves off completely from our history.  It is the death and destruction of our past that bring us to resurrection.

Jesus didn't rely on time illustrations to manipulate our thinking about ourselves.  He flat out invited us into eternity.  He told us of a kingdom that did not rely on time or space.  He took us completely out of the box and introduced us to new possibilities.  In this wide open space, there is not a scarcity of time.  So there is not an anxiety-based need to accomplish more than today can hold.  In this wide open space we can take the time to connect unhurriedly with our brother, Jesus, who overcame the grave and the fear of running out of time.  May we experience Him in each moment.

Comments

Popular Posts