Ants in the Morning, Mosquitoes at Night

On Thursday, I had the delight of participating in an "Artful Thursday" with the usual suspects, but also with my son, Jonathan.  We met up at Pearland Coffee Roasters and after a good hour of "show and tell" and coffee, we pulled out our drawing pads and went to work.  Someone asked, "What are we supposed to draw?" The answer, "Something you see."

I was sitting with a view of the couch where a lovely young woman was telling stories with lively animation and an engaging smile.  I tried to respectfully sketch her (without seeming like a total creep.)  I didn't quite finish "her", but spent some time on the props around her.  When our time was up, it was so fun to see what everyone else had been drawing during the time.  A coffee cup, a spoon, faces and more.


Then it was time to battle the heat.  We headed to a little park that is populated by a promenade of crepe myrtles.  I made a beeline for a view that balanced a curved path lined with these multi-trunked beauties.   It was pleasant enough at first, until the sun came out full force and I was discovered by some hungry ants.

I spent the remainder of the time dividing my attention between the trees I was drawing and protecting my territory from ants.

As drops of rain began to slowly fall on our sketchbooks, one lone ant bit me on my upper arm.  I "killed the beast" and gathered my things.  Happy to have drawn trees, and happy to leave my spot to the ants.

Later, in the evening, I hosted a group of ladies that wanted to learn watercolor.  As they sat around my dining room table, at times laughing and at times struggling with the medium, I watched as the beauty they could see, appeared little by little on their paper.  Vibrant colors and grays.



  As I stood outside chatting about the wonderful time had by all, mosquitoes began viciously attacking.  Sigh...Summer with its pleasures and its trials.  May the enjoyment of Summer outweigh your interaction with bugs!

Comments

Popular Posts