Surprise!

I was reflecting this morning on all of the ways that life has surprised me, even as recently as yesterday.    I have had my visions of what life might be.  I have had my imaginings of what it could hold.  And then, life unfolds in ways that I could never have envisioned or imagined.

As a 17 year-old, I never dreamed that I would fall head over heels in love and get married before I was 25.  But I did.  Still surprised.

I never envisioned becoming an artist.  This was nowhere on my radar.  I can remember the first inkling I had that I could maybe draw. I was working downtown as secretary to the controller of a large construction firm in 1984-87.  They offered a free "stress workshop".  It involved drawing a self-portrait with crayon.  I remembered staring at my drawing with surprise, thinking, "That's kind of good.  I didn't know I could draw."

I never imagined that David and I would have six kids.  I knew I wanted a life that was un-mediocre.  I pictured being a missionary or running some kind of ministry serving others.   Incidentally, it did involve a lot of putting myself aside and serving others.

I never dreamed that I would "fail" miserably at seemingly simple aspects of life.  Like communicating, listening to others, championing my kids, remembering the details and so much more.  It has been in the times of experiencing my failures that I have begun "to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge."  Ironic, that when I messed up, God  showed me His love and care.

As I approach my "jubilee" birthday, I brace myself for more surprises.  I will continue to be surprised by the gifts and callings, the limitations and the trials, and the immense joys of life.  May I be prepared, as much as possible, for this wild ride that we call "Life", while keeping the childlike element of wonder.



 And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.  Ephesians 3:17b-21






Comments

Popular Posts