The Hand Written Word

In February of 2011, I bumped into an old friend.  Within the week, he had written a postcard to me.  On the front of the postcard was a picture of a statue representing Joan of Arc.  This sparked a dialogue between us.  I shared about a Joan of Arc painting that was in an exhibit at the MFAH a few years prior.  As it turned out, he and his wife had been so moved by the very same painting that she bought a print of it.

Prior to this exchange I was a letter burier.  I would write a note and never mail or deliver it.  There were few notes that ultimately reached the intended recipients.  This new conversation led me to not only write, but also address, stamp, and mail a letter.  Typically, I would do the first two steps and carry the letter in my purse for several days or even weeks before I actually mailed it.  I called it time spent "ripening".  More accurately, it was time that the letter took a little bit of unnecessary abuse.  (Being in my purse is not a super safe place.  I call it the abyss for a reason.)

Last week I had a piece of art placed in a group show.  At the opening reception there was a large crowd there to celebrate the 20 artists and their efforts to express songs of worship visually.  During the course of the evening, my friend Briann, slipped me a envelope. She is the spouse of the original card writer. (Some of you may have already guessed that it was Gordon Butler, known as a correspondent with many, who sent me that postcard.)

When the intensity and fun of the evening died down, I quietly opened the card and read my friend's words.  They washed over me with sweet support and comfort.

I appreciated so much every person (David, Faith, Stephen, Jonathan, Nurr, Cali, my Dad, Cara, Karen, Briann & Gordon, and Tricia) that took time to come out and support my art on public display.  It blew me away.  My card from Briann was a quiet reminder of all this.  It spoke to me even after all of the voiced words from the evening faded away.  It was this recent experience that sparked thoughts about writing notes and letters.  It inspired me write this piece.

So today, here are my top ten reasons as to why I love writing with pen, pencil, marker, etc... even better than a digitally produced writing:

#1--There is nothing like holding a paper that someone has physically written upon to communicate something to you personally.

#2--The very strokes of the letters speak of the mood, health, and tone of the letter writer.  It is as personal as hearing someone's own voice.

#3--The ease with which one can re-read the written note or letter.

#4--The hand written note is more easily remembered.

#5--In writing a letter, there is more creative room for adding other elements: art, diagrams, etc... (important for artist types.)

#6--There may be less "self-editing", since you can't quickly erase chunks of text, the writer simply says the original thought.  While it may be less "smooth" or perfected, it is more honest.

#7--Letters and notes are often more unexpected. (I love surprises!)

#8--Google doesn't know who and what you wrote.

#9--There is more engagement for the writer.  Hopefully this is true of the receiver as well.

#10--I love dragging pen or pencil across paper to make marks.  Whether I am doodling or writing, there is something about that act that feels: good, creative, head-clearing, ignites thoughts and preserves them.

Feel free to add to the list and happy writing!

Comments

  1. Lisa everything is TRUE! Your ten items. I need not add any more. For me the emotions I feel when writing on paper are much deeper and clearer than on a computer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your affirmation Gordon, and for so much more in the writing side of my life.

      Delete
  2. this is Briann. your heartfelt words warm my heart tonight. I've kept your letters re-reading them and letting the blessings wash over time after time. love b

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts