Rebooting 3: A Potter's Wheel and Life!

In December,  our art class did a special ceramics class at Alvin Community College.  We got to throw on a potter's wheel and build a mask.  I had just gotten the great news that there was some shrinkage of the lymphoma in my abdomen.  Joan greeted me with her excitement about that news. However, I was still in a weakened state.  As I "threw" my pot on the wheel, I could barely handle it physically.  It was hard to get the hang of doing the wheel but after a couple of attempts I had a cute little pot.  I took it off and headed over to make my mask.  This was what I was really excited about doing.

After the class, throughout the week, I was surprised that I kept seeing that potter's wheel going in my head.  It was like the experience of it was still happening, affecting me.  It was special and I was surprised to find myself wishing I could do it again.  Someday...

As December wore on, I continued being in a real fatigued state.  I described it to a friend as "like walking through jello".  With every task for Christmas, I felt I was moving in slow motion and my brain was functioning at about ten percent.  The celebrations for me were something to "get through".  I was severely tanking by the third family Christmas in one week's time.  After we had opened gifts with my family of origin, I sat with my Mom and sister and told them that I was in terrible, terrible shape.  I almost couldn't see what purpose my life could have since I couldn't enjoy even the simplest thing.  Their empathy and love were a balm.

Later that same day, I don't know how or why, but as we played our traditional domino game, I felt the brain fog and fatigue lift. It had been present for almost eight weeks.  It was December 27, 2013 and it was my Christmas miracle.

So the start of 2014 was accompanied by some new energy and a resolve to pursue life.  In January I had the pleasure of being the guest teacher at Joan Moody's class and taught silk painting.  During the "show and tell" time of class Kathy Ericksen shared some of her art disciplines for 2014.  I determined to adhere to an art discipline as well.  She had shared her "word of the year" and I knew immediately what my word of the year was: LIFE! 

Back at home while I still had my silk painting supplies handy, I decided to commit to painting three "Life" paintings a week in silk.  But it had been over a decade since I painted silk regularly.  I was out of practice and yet, I was doing little 12x12 silks and having a blast.  Here are a few:










BLISS!




Comments

  1. Your work is amazing and I'm humbled hearing the story behind all. Lisa I do see lots of life bubbling up in you. There is a calm centeredness to you and yet I see a bubbling life in your art and your work. May God continue to create new life this year in you. Love you friend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts