What Does the Color Red Mean to You?

I was in the first minute of silence when I saw in my mind's eye, a big red sun.  As I focused in on the color,  my own thoughts interrupted the silence.  I let them get "burned off" by this image of the sun, much like the warmth of the sun burns off the morning fog.

I was just beginning a day-retreat at the Villa de Matel.  As the day of purposeful silence passed, I continued to "see red".  (No, I wasn't angry, I was just exploring all the meaning of the color red.)  In my own nature, I mostly read like a cool blue-green.  Calm and peace-loving.  I am most drawn to those colors and usually paint with a LOT of blues and greens.  This day, I was being invited to embrace red and all of its meanings.

Here are a few things that I thought it was meaning:  Energy, productivity, vibrance, passion, playfulness, daring, sacrifice, heat, action, LOVE.

I think there will be some red art happening in my studio!  I would love to hear what the color red speaks to you!
(This piece was commissioned and the red background a request. 
 Otherwise, I have very few red paintings.)

Comments

  1. As a child I did not like the color red. My red hair and freckles were not 'cool' at that point in time. I was told redheads shouldn't wear red. As I grew up, or maybe got older, I'm not sure I will ever grow up, :-) I realized that I love red!! I drive a red car. I love my red hair and refuse to embrace the gray. I even wear red! Red is energy, and life. Red is outgoing and loud. Red is passionate and powerful. Red is my nickname. Appropriate? I think so. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cathi! Yes...this is my season to embrace those things, energy & life, etc... and find more of the "red" in me!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts