Living the Question

Back in May I began a collage/painting based upon a tree on a rocky incline and I especially loved the exposed roots.  I started there, making a collage of those gorgeous roots.  Then it sat on my studio wall, just like an unsettling question.  What direction do I take?  Do I leave the background white do I add more, subtract some of the largeness of the roots?

It kept all through June and July.  Toward the end of July I declared it finished to a fellow artist friend.  She asked if I was open to doing more on it.  Yes!  She gave me a little feedback and I listened and changed some things.  I painstakingly painted the background white and again, declare it finished.

Then one day in August, it hit me.  It needed a second canvas to complete it.  Once I made the decision, I knew I was heading in a good direction.

And so it was toward the end of August that I finally knew it was finished and I signed it.  This piece is bringing me joy with its large, beautiful, quiet presence. Because this work came from me, there still remain questions in the corners of my mind about the piece...the should I have? questions.  However, I work to silence those and just enjoy imperfect but finished work.  Life is no different. I cannot wait for it to be perfect, I will live the questions until a little direction becomes apparent.  I will stumble forward with what light I have today and hopefully find beauty and rest in the midst of all of the questions. And perhaps over time I will more and more discover the joy of living the questions.


Comments

Popular Posts