1,000 Origami Cranes


In June I learned about the Japanese tradition of folding 1,000 Origami Cranes in order to get a hoped for wish or miracle.  As soon as I heard about it, I knew that I wanted to fold 1,000 cranes. I began right away using pages of magazines cut into 4 and 5 inch squares.  The squares have gotten smaller, at an average of 3.5" with my smallest ones measuring 1".  At this writing, I have folded a little over 500 cranes.  I expected to tire of this project after a couple hundred, but instead, the folding has been an intentional practice that is still delightful, even as I folded the 500th crane. The surprises of colors and graphics hidden and showing on the folded magazine paper birds fills the process with wonder and joy.

As I was recently showing a friend my cranes laid out on a table, she gave me a sideways glance and asked if I believed that by folding the cranes I would get a wish or miracle. My reply came without even having to think: My hope is not that because I folded the cranes, a miracle will be granted. I fold the cranes as a sign of the hope that I already carry that my prayers are and will be answered.  The cranes are an outward sign of prayers and intentions going up and out, nurturing and shepherding those things and people for whom I care. 



I have also asked people to share their prayers and wishes to add to my folded prayers.  I have added prayers for the children and parents recently separated at the border thanks to Kitsie Forrest, prayers for my friend Sarah Hazel who is on a journey of defeating cancer with her husband Reese, prayers for my Aunt Kathy who is also defeating cancer and has been recovering from surgery. Prayers have also gone toward families, career changes, guidance and direction for several friends making big decisions and more. The original Japanese crane project was with the hopes of peace in the world.  I cannot improve on that. Visualizing a world with a resting heartbeat of love and peace in all of humankind, emanating out to the animals, plants and planet in our care is a delightful prayer that I carry.  It sounds too big and yet as I focus on prayers even for just the people in my own "neighborhood", it is the drop of water that falls upon a body of water, producing wave upon wave outward.

The very friend who inspired me and taught me to fold my first crane is considering doing the cranes again.  I don't want to think about the absence of the folded prayers from my routine-as they bring a gentle rhythm to my days, helping me to slow down and be present. I have even folded in the dark or with my eyes closed. You can find me sitting by the window folding most mornings and evenings...my new happy place. And if you should want to learn to fold origami cranes, it would be my joy to show you how.


Comments

  1. Did I have a sideways glance?? LOL maybe I did... you know me, soooo blabbery.. i know where your hope lies.. & soo glad SOMEONE has the patience for folding... if only I could prayerfully fold clothes.. 😘 Loove u tonz

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts